Saturday, September 13, 2008

5 easy tips to assemble IKEA furniture

know what you thinking: she must having a slow day today. ;D Actually , no. I just heard another customer complained about how difficult it is to assemble IKEA furniture and how much they hate it. (But they are still browsing in the store to see what they can buy! :)) ) Well, a little extra help will never hurt.

If you are a IKEA newbie, I won’t be surprised that you screw up your first piece of furniture. I know I did and I know my hubby did too. My very first piece was Billy book case. Simple enough. I thought I read the instruction careful enough to ensure the success. Nope! I was wrong. I put the shelf backwards and have one ugly unfinished side on the front. The worst part was I didn’t realize that until I put the back on and almost announced success.

Well, that was then…

So I thought, let’s share some insight with newbies and hopefully no one will ever have to return a messed up Billy book case ever again. ;)

1. Open packing carefully with facing all unfinished side one way.
It is rather easy to tell if a piece has some unfinished side. I found it a lot easier to help me create the vision rather than look at the pictures and trying to find out what hole suppose to go where.

2. Also, put sort out similar pieces and group them together.
Not only it help you to understand the pictures better, it also make the pile look smaller and you don’t make a mess in your room. Do the same thing with hardwares so you can easily find what you need when assembling.

3. Read the instruction
Take some time and actually read the whole instruction will help you understand how is the whole coming together. I prefer read the whole thing before I start put anything together. In construction world there is a saying: measure twice, cute once. You are lucky enough because everything is already cute for you here. So read twice and assembling once is the golden rule here. :P

4. Brainless work
If something doesn’t seem to fit into the whole furniture easy enough, something is usually not right. Don’t force anything. I’ve done this many times to realize that the brainless way of work is always the easiest way. Everything is cut to fit perfectly to each other so there is no reason to push harder and see if something would fit.

5. Don’t use glue
A lot of people like to use glue because they think that is the only way to secure each piece and ensure the furniture will stay forever. My take is no no on that. :no: Glue down each piece will make your fit harder and make the process longer. The worse part is, it is almost impossible to break it down later if you need to without damage the furniture. Besides, you never know if you gonna use the furniture for another use later. So better keep it “loose".

There you have it, my 5 little secrets to make your assemble life easier. :)) We hope you enjoyed it.

Bonus tip:
Always invite friends and families to join a assemble party if you have multiple pieces to build. Not only make the building process faster, it is also a quality time you could share with them and make them proud that they’ve done something for/with you that would last for a while!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a person who has had a rollercoaster of a life, with more downs than ups. I spent several years in marketing in which I started entry level and left Regional Marketing Director. I was blessed with a little princess and deiced my life needed an over haul so I started EZ Furniture Assembly & Interior Innovations, LLC with no more than a few screwdrivers, a shoebox of past due bills and a passion to succeed at something I found I really enjoy. Today I run NYC's top professional furniture assembly & kitchen installation companies, and am considered an expert in my industry.