Friday, January 25, 2008

EZ Furniture Assembly & Interior Innovations is Going Green

Hello Everyone!

I am very pleased at the emails I have received in regard to our postings, thank you! We do our best to provide you with information that is important, intriguing, and a pleasure to read while providing our opinion or point of view. I, myself, try to stay focused on furniture assembly retailers, new ideas or products, and an interesting story or two which we believe you will find of interest as well. However, as many of you already know I am the President & founder of both EZ Furniture assembly & Interior Innovations, LLC. And for the ones who have followed my writings you know that I started with no more than a few screwdrivers and a passion to make my dream a reality. I worked very hard to get where our company is today, and give great thanks to my customers who have became friends, as well as my wonderful staff who took pride in what they did, whether it was returning a call or building a kitchen. I have learned a lot about myself, the business, and the industry as a whole over the last few years and have decided to make some changes.

We are the first furniture assembly and kitchen cabinet installation company to go Green. Until I really reached a level where we were noticed as a real competitor and serious business in this industry I was unaware of all the things we could be doing to help our environment. I began to receive publications from companies that produced periodicals that related directly to our industry as a whole. A lot of what I began reading was foreign to me because most of the companies were far larger than mine, and it was a bit hard to relate. However, it took someone outside my company to show us how much we have grown and how we really do relate to these companies. The most interesting fact I found was that the vast majority of the companies I was reading about started just like me. Then I felt the relation, not yet brothers but maybe a close cousin. Right now protecting the environment is a hot topic which I find several articles relating to it in every publication I receive. The more I read the more i understood how we could be a much better company by making just a few small changes that have actually benefited us more than I ever could have imagined. I have always frowned on litter bugs and people who dumped illegally and so forth, but never paid much attention to water consumption and using rechargeable batteries, or how much we were hurting our environment by using our older vans to go to each job site. The more I read the more I began to make changes within our company.

Today we are a Green company. I decided to sell all but one of service vans that is used only for jobs that are located where public transportation is no available, or is needed to pick up materials for a job in which we order all the materials at one time so we only use the van once. I drew up a blueprint of how to make a portable tool chest that actually was much more, and allowed our technicians to use it on every job and since it's base is a dolly or hand truck they can take on the subway or bus while still appearing professional and able to carry all the needed tools. We also no longer just trash our old cabinets, we take them down just as they were put up so there is no damage and donate them to a needy family. If we do a full renovation we try to use as much Eco friendly material as possible and educate our customers on the benefits of using certain green and energy saving products over more traditional materials. We are about to launch a new program where we explain to the customer that we do our best to be a green company and then tell them about the importance of recycling cellular phone batteries, and that if they have any old batteries we would be happy to take them to a local drop off center for recycling.

To many it may not seem like a lot, but I am happy with our progress and in time we will implement more programs and policies to do our part. If you have gone green and have any tips or suggestions please feel free to add your comment or feedback here.

Thanks again!
Christopher Purnell

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a person who has had a rollercoaster of a life, with more downs than ups. I spent several years in marketing in which I started entry level and left Regional Marketing Director. I was blessed with a little princess and deiced my life needed an over haul so I started EZ Furniture Assembly & Interior Innovations, LLC with no more than a few screwdrivers, a shoebox of past due bills and a passion to succeed at something I found I really enjoy. Today I run NYC's top professional furniture assembly & kitchen installation companies, and am considered an expert in my industry.